ST. ANGER ALBUM REVEIW

 



A Perfect Hot Mess - 
By Anus_Canis, January 6th, 2021


Remember how I said that RTL was Metallica's best album (assuming you've read my RTL review)? Well, fuck that, because that's only true in terms of musical composition. Metallica's "St. Anger" was their true masterpiece all along. Now I am aware of how much this might be pissing off some readers (assuming there are any), but my intention is not to troll anyone, but to give my genuine opinion on this album. Although it may have been one of their worst albums in terms of musicianship, there was a reason why it sounded the way it did. Upon taking into consideration the fact that James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, and Lars Ulrich repressed a lot of their negative emotions throughout the '90s and early 2000s, the overall cacophonous sound of the album makes perfect sense, as it adequately expresses the frustration of each band member. Now the reason I didn't mention Jason Newsted was that he had actually quit by this time, so Bob Rock played the bass in this album instead. Even though "St. Anger" may have been a hot mess of cacophonous sound, that was the entire point of the album, thus making it perfect for what it is. James, Kirk, and Lars never tried to make this album good musically, but they accidentally created an absolute masterpiece that surpassed RTL in my opinion, although that's primarily because "Escape" wasn't particularly great.

First, Lars Ulrich's drum playing perfectly expresses the sheer annoyance the band experienced at the time. The tinny drum sound is extremely annoying, hence why it was perfect for this album. It was almost as if Lars kept hitting himself over the head with a frying pan due to how annoyed he was with both himself and everything else around him. It was almost as if Lars continuously felt annoyed even before he even left his bed every morning. Overall, the drums really help in evoking an atmosphere that expresses absolute frustration, anger, and annoyance.

Next, the lyrics that appear in songs such as "Invisible Kid" and "My World" are phenomenal. The lyrics in the first are extremely relatable to me, especially since I like to be alone and unnoticed, but at the same time, I also want to be able to talk about my problems whenever I need to. As for "My World", the bridge cracks me up, especially since it feels so random to me.

Not only do I not know what the answer is
I don't even know what the question is

Now anyone reading that might be wondering why I found that funny, but honestly, I didn't expect to hear that being said at all. As for the rest of the songs in terms of lyrics, they adequately express the frustration James, Kirk, and Lars had been repressing for years.

Finally, the overall atmosphere created by James' and Kirk's downturned guitars perfectly complements the album, as they adequately express the pent-up emotions those two had throughout the '90s and early 2000s. It's murky, cacophonous, and heavy AF, and that is exactly what this album needed. I honestly really enjoyed the riffs even though they were messy AF. I also love the raw energy the guitars emitted, as such energy cannot be found even in Metallica's original four albums. Overall, the album is solid and I would definitely recommend it for those who are open-minded, but for those who don't understand this album, this one isn't for you at all.

To summarize, although Metallica's "St. Anger" isn't their best album musically, the album as a whole is perfect for what it is and perhaps performed its purpose better than RTL did with its purpose, which was to kick ass. Furthermore, this album is a flawless mess and is now one of my favorite Metallica albums. Although I still think it's one of the worst Metallica albums musically, I think it's the best put-together album Metallica ever made. If I could summarize it in a few words, it would be a perfect hot mess because that's literally what this album is. "St. Anger" will never be as much of a classic as the original four albums, but it's the one I recommend the most, especially since I believe this was Metallica's final masterpiece.

Track List :

1. Frantic
2. St. Anger
3. Some Kind of Monster
4. Dirty Window
5. Invisible Kid
6. My World
7. Shoot Me Again
8. Sweet Amber
9. The Unnamed Feeling
10. Purify
11. All Within My Hands

***Disclaimer*** 

I do not own any copyright for any of this material!
Copyright belongs to Metallica and Blackened Recordings! 
Purchase your remastered copy today!

METALLICA - ST. .ANGER FULL ALBUM
( Poor Quality )